Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Resentments and other habits

Excerpt from the July 23 entry in Hope for Today:

Courage to Change states, "Resentments mark the places where I see myself as a victim." ... Feeling resentment was like drinking poison and hoping the person I resented would die! ... I knew what to do... work the Steps...However, I felt such resistance to this that I needed to ask myself, "What do I get out of feeling like a victim?" ... I felt protected by my resentments.  they acted as a barbed wire fence to keep away the people I felt had hurt me.  The problem was I kept pricking my own skin on the barbs.  I also was comfortable with my resentments.  I wondered who I'd be without them, because they were as familiar to me as my own skin.   Realizing that my resentments are not necessary or protective opened the door to change... I became entirely willing.
This can also be applied to other emotional habits (worry, stress, impatience, etc).   What emotional habit are you comfortable with? What would you be like without it?


No comments:

Post a Comment