Wednesday, September 3, 2014

"Hanging On" vs. "Relaxing"

A friend of mine emailed me last week, asking me how things were going.

My knee-jerk mental response was to envision myself on a roller-coaster hanging on for dear life.
Composing in my head, I thought:  "It's been a wild ride..."

I suddenly realized that my thoughts about my life really are my biggest problem.

I hate everything about roller-coasters!  This is not a good mental image for me!  

My hands have been aching more and more as the summer has gone on as the life changes have accelerated... Gardening over-work, I thought.   Now I'm thinking perhaps it is because I'm hanging on so tightly to "survive" the speed of the life changes that are occurring!    No wonder my hands hurt.

I wanted to "let go" of that mind set, so I spent some time creating a new mental approach to my life...

I love lazy river raft trips and the feeling of complete relaxation and joy that I get out on the water.   I created this affirmation:

     I love the river of God's Power flowing through my life, and I enjoy the changes that it brings.  I'm safe and supported in my "little boat", and I can relax and enjoy my life.   If I need any help, it is always available if I ask for it.   I surrender to the flow of the river, and am eager to see where it takes me.

I hope you can take a moment to think about your automatic mental approach to life... are you "hanging on" or "relaxing"?

No comments:

Post a Comment